Passat R-Line presents a compelling package.
- Passat R-Line wagon returns after two year hiatus
- 206kW/350Nm powerplant remains with all-wheel-drive
- Pricing starts at $63,790
Volkswagen’s line of hot wagons continue to roll off its German production line and into Australian showrooms, with this month’s offering coming in the form of the new Passat R-Line, featuring Golf R power with wagon space.
Returning for the first time since the 2019 model year, the Passat 206TSI R-Line wagon is aimed at not only expanding the Passat range but also filling the gap between the outgoing Mk7.5 Golf’s performance wagon, which is all but sold out and the Mk8 as deliveries are not expected to start until next year.
The Passat R-Line wagon’s release comes after a four-year wait for updates to the Passat range and off the back of Volkswagen launching an Arteon R-Line wagon, featuring similar specs to the Passat but for a $5000 premium, set for release in the fourth quarter of 2021.
The 2021 R-Line is now $1500 more than the 2019 R-Line it replaces, landing at $63,790 excluding on-road costs, with drive-away prices starting at $69,482.
Only one option is available on the R-Line – metallic and pearl effect paint which will set buyers back an extra $800, as all colours bar pure white incur the price rise.
As mentioned above, the only optional extra for the new R-Line is metallic/pearl paint, with a vast range of standard features being packed into the car out of the box, including:
- LED front fog lights
- Low light sensor with automatic headlight function; coming/leaving home function
- IQ.Light matrix LED headlights and premium LED taillights with dynamic indicators
- ‘Pretoria’ 19-inch alloy wheels
- Chrome roof rails
- Adaptive chassis control
- Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
- Park assist, parking bay and parallel parking assistance
- Three-zone climate control air conditioning
- Alarm system with interior monitoring and tilt sensor
- Discover media audio and satellite navigation system, wireless AppConnect for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Eight-speaker Harman Kardon sound system
- Electric front seats heated with electric lumbar support, easy entry and memory
- R-Line Nappa leather appointed seat upholstery
- R-Line multi-function steering wheel with shifting paddles
- ‘Silver rise’ decorative inserts
- Keyless access, keyless entry and starting system
Engine, drivetrain and fuel economy
Engine specs are unchanged from the 2019 to the 2021 Passat R-Line, packing the same 206kW/350Nm punch which comes from its 2.0-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged engine, achieving a WLTP tested 8.1L/100km.
Mated to a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, the power is sent to all four wheels through Volkswagen’s 4Motion system.
Retaining the same five-star ANCAP safety rating as its predecessor, the Passat R-Line wagon scores a range of safety tech to keep its occupants safe, such as:
- Driver and front passenger airbags, driver’s knee airbag, side airbags, front and rear curtain airbags, outer rear seat passenger side airbags
- Driver fatigue detection system
- Front assist with city emergency brake (CityEB) function
- Lane assist with adaptive lane guidance
- Travel assist and emergency assist
- Side assist, lane-changing assistant
- Visual/acoustic warning for front seat belts not fastened, visual indicator for rear passenger seat belt status
- Area view surround view camera system
Warranty and Servicing
Just like the rest of the Volkswagen range, the Passat R-Line will be covered by a five-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty with capped price servicing every 12 months/15,000km within the warranty period.
Volkswagen’s pre-purchase service packs will also be available for either three or five years.
The 2021 Passat 206TSI R-Line wagon is on sale now through Volkswagen dealers.